SHORTHAND IN BRIEF
Shorthand basically refers to the Shortening of words in the form of symbols.
The outlines we learn are symbols that represent a particular sound. We are
talking about the sounds we hear. We don’t use silent words as outlines like we
use in English. With the help of Consonants, Vowels, Diphthongs etc. That are
created with some rules, we are able to catch up the Speed and write in less
Don’t you feel easy writing the Words like Management, Hospital, Parliament,
Solicitor etc. In Shorthand rather than in English? Yes! That is the main purpose
of Creation of Shorthand. It saves a lot of time and Energy. It makes you and your
work Smarter. It’s very important for an Assistant to create a good reputation in
front of their Boss. For that he must have a good Proficiency in all the skills of
Office Management. So that’s where the skill of Stenography is needed. The
Assistant or the Secretary writes everything in shorthand and then he Transcribes
the data in English.
Coming on the point…
But at present it’s high time. The Competition is at its peak. Only those who are
at the top can reach their ladder of success and the rest remains at the bottom.
However, by using Practice as a Weapon, we can overcome our obstacles.
Learning Shorthand is a different task but mastering it is quite contrasting and is
of vital importance.
Students often fail to master Shorthand, not only because they don’t practice the
basic outlines and Short forms properly but because they don’t devote their time
for regular speed practice. And when the speed doesn’t match their capability,
they fail to understand the words they write in shorthand and everything
becomes time consuming.
So by keeping all these facts in mind, we have created “SHORTHAND SPEED” for
you as your Personal Shorthand Trainer, so that the learning techniques that
often missed by the students could be provided to them.
Our website will provide you everything that you usually deny to work upon. For
Example- Some students prefer to pay less attention on transcribing and typing
the content as they feel very confident about their Shorthand Skill. But at last
their Confidence itself hinders and obstructs their route of Success.
Always keep in mind that in order to become a successful Stenographer, you
have to get a master degree in all the skills that are required including writing
Shorthand, Transcribing the content and Typing the transcribed content.
Otherwise you won’t be able to reach towards your Goal.
Now let us have a look at some of the questions that are frequently asked by the
Students (F. A. Q) related to Shorthand Speed Development.
Almost all the queries are covered in these questions related to Shorthand Speed.
How to increase Shorthand speed in less time?
Increasing speed in less time is indeed possible, but applying extra effort is very essential. Further, it depends upon the speed you have and the
speed you want to go in and write. In case there is an urgent need to increase the
speed, then you have to practice for minimum 15 times in a day. Five times in the
Morning, then in the Afternoon, then at night. And then you will gradually notice
the change in speed within a few days.
How many months are required to increase the speed from 80 wpm to 120 wpm?
Follow the points.
If you will not work hard, then there is no time limit.
- First, it depends upon the Student that how much time and concentration
he gives while writing down the dictations.
- Second, as there is a large difference in the speed of 120 wpm with that of
80 wpm, it will take minimum of 3 to 4 months if the student practices 10
to 15 times in a day.
- And it takes maximum of 8 to 9 months if the student is only regular in
- It can even take more than a year if the student is not serious and regular
What are the essential points that should be kept in mind before writing
The points that should be kept in mind before writing Shorthand
- If you have a Pencil, then sharp it properly. A Ball Pen is also preferable. It
all depends on the user. It’s better to use the stationary that suits you.
- Your Notepad should be broad enough between the lines for making the
outlines Clear and Identifiable.
- Before writing, keep the fact in your mind that you have to make small
sized outlines as they take less time in drawing and one can write with
- Give all your focus on the speaker and on the Notepad
- Think positive and forget all other things that are happening in your life.
Is it easy for the students who are weak in English Grammar and Vocabulary to
catch up to the Normal speed level of Dictations?
Building up of Grammar and Vocabulary skills are very important if you
are Shorthand Aspirant. While typing the Dictation, your spellings must be correct
otherwise they will be counted as a mistake.
So, if your Grammar and Vocabulary is weak.. Yes it will surely take time. But
don’t worry. Just keep on reading Newspapers, English Grammar Books, and learn
news Synonyms and Antonyms daily.
At the start it may not seem to be easy but with time everything will come into
Is there any one line Mantra for Shorthand Speed Development?
“Concentrate with Consistency and Confidence.”
How to increase Typing Speed for Transcription?
Speed of typing increases with regular practice from 30 wpm, then 35
and up to 45 to 50 Wpm.
When it’s about typing the content of Shorthand, the more you easily identify the
word, faster will be the speed. Always try to type in a flow with minimum
obstruction. To have a Good Shorthand speed is the only cure and is the best
answer to this question.
Importance of Shorthand Typing
You all know that for riding a bicycle, two wheels are required. Likewise, for becoming a successful Stenographer, one needs to have two wheels in order to move forward and backward.
If the front wheel is for writing Shorthand then the second wheel is of Typing the content with a command on Accuracy and perfection. These two wheels of Shorthand will encourage you to move forward as both of them depend on each other.
Without proper shorthand speed, you cannot Transcribe and without typing speed you can type the written content.
After noting down the Dictation, one should first read the matter first and then type.
Some facts and Figures.
- In order to pass the Skill Test, your Shorthand Typing speed should be between 40 to 50 WPM(minimum).
- Minimum 40 or 50 minutes (Depend on examination procedure) will be given to you for Transcribing the noted content during Dictation.
- Typing practice and Shorthand Typing are basically two different things. Because typing practice is related to the practice of any text in order to increase speed and for putting the command over a language. And Shorthand Typing is when you have already shaped your typing speed and you are ready to Transcribe the written content and have the ability to type it in a specific time.
- If you are new in Shorthand, then you have to improve your Typing Speed first and then you have to try for Transcribing and then Shorthand Typing.
- My experience tells me about some students who write Shorthand with full speed but they fail to transcribe the content on time. This is because they are overconfident about their Shorthand skill and they play less attention in typing.
- So, Regular Typing practice is required along with the power of Transcribing the written content of Dictation with Perfection.